What documents do I need to apply for a NSFAS grant?

Many students want to know what documents do I need to apply for a NSFAS grant?  Read this articles which will carefully explain exactly what you need to submit with your application.

What documents do I need to apply for a NSFAS grant?

There is a long list, and you really do need to know what documents do I need to apply for a NSFAS grant.  Don’t cut corners, and make sure you take it to a police station to be stamped if it says it must be a certified copy.

Here is the list of what documents do I need to apply for a NSFAS grant:

  1. Certified copy of your legal South African Identity Document (ID).
  2. You must provide a certified copy of your unabridged birth certificate if you are younger that 16 years old, and do not have a South African green bar-coded ID or a smart ID card.
  3. A certified copy of the ID of each member in your household, including the IDs of your parents or legal guardian(s).
  1. A certified copy of your latest academic record or your exam results.  (Students who are currently in Grade 12, do not need to submit this.)
  2. Students who have been excused from having to pay school fees, need to provide a certified letter to NSFAS from the particular school the student is currently attending.  This letter needs to inform NSFAS that the student has been excused from paying school fees.
  1. Each parent, guardian, or person who supports you, or yourself, need to provide a certified or official copy of an up-to-date payslip, or letter of employment and must not be older than 3 months.  (This applies to all types of employment, as well as all types of income for all the members living in the same household as the student applying for the NSFAS Grant. It also includes any payments/money received from:  any retirement, life, disability or other benefits paid as a total sum of money or in monthly payments, as well as any income received from SASSA grants or Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF).)
  2. If the person(s) who supports you, or your legal guardian(s) or your parent(s) are retired, then you need to provide proof of their pension payment in the form of:  an official pension slip or bank statement that shows the monthly pension payment.
  3. You need to supply an official signed affidavit by your parent(s) of the person(s) supporting you or you legal guardian(s) work(s) as an/a informal trader(s). (An affidavit is written down facts that a person writes down after he/she has officially promised to tell the truth.  This can be done at your local Police Station. An affidavit can also be used in a court of law as proof.)
  4. A certified copy of a death certificate needs to be provided if your parents have passed away.
  5. A certified copy of a divorce decree needs to be provided when your parents are divorced.
  6. If one or the other of your parents do not live at home with you, then you need to provide an official affidavit that clearly explains the reasons for that parent not living in the same household than yourself.
  7. Also provide an official affidavit when you are being financially supported by someone who is not your legal guardian.
  8. If any or your family members are receiving a social grant and those family members are also contributing to your yearly household income, you need to provide a certified copy of an SASSA letter.  It also applies to your legal guardian if that person receives a social grant and contributes to your yearly household income.
  9. I you have specified that a dependent in your household is a student, then you need to provide proof of that mentioned person’s registration or acceptance at a university or TVET college.  This applies to every dependent in your household who is a student.
  10. If you have a disability, you must complete the relevant supporting documents and submit them all together with your application form.  Please click here for the forms.

How do I make a certified copy of a document?

The easiest way to certify a document is to take it to the police station.  This is easiest as you can go any time (the police station is always open), and the service is 100% free!   Here is a step by step guide on what to do:

  • Make a copy of the document you need to certify (for example your ID).
  • Take the original document plus the copy to the police station.
  • The police will check the copy against the original, and then stamp and sign your copy.
  • You must provide the original documents when requesting to have copies certified.
  • Your copy is now a Certified Copy

Written by:  Tabitha Bailey

Last updated:  September 7, 2018